How-to: Throw an Aperol Spritz Break
I can't speak for the rest of the country or even the rest of the state but please believe me when I tell you, it's official, Summer is here in LA and man did she arrive in full force. I've been noticing her (Summer) creeping in, with the lengthening of each day, with the steadily climbing temperatures, and especially with the whirls of warm air, perfuming the days with notes of jasmine, apple blossoms, and fig. These are the days I look forward to most because they're long, they're warm, and man are they fun. They also bring Summer soirées and who doesn't love a good excuse to hang with your favorites, nosh on light bites, and drink spritzers till the sun sets. I wanna share all my tips and tricks, and let's be honest, there isn't much to it (which is why I love 'em), to throwing a great Aperol Spritz Break (#spritzbreak) but first, please excuse this detour while I take a minute to say thank you
THANK YOU a million, no a billion, times over for making this little blog your Readers' Choice Winner for Best New Voice in this year's Saveur Blog Awards. I'm shocked. Shocked, humbled, and beyond grateful to all of you for bestowing this incredibly insane and awesome honor on FFF. To say that you are all the best, most amazing humans out there would be a severe understatement, much like this thank you that I'm trying to get out but am failing miserably at. Basically, please know that I'll never quite find the words to thank you all properly but know that I'm eternally grateful. When I first started this blog, I was pretty sure my only readers were family and extremely close friends, and even then, I'm not sure they were actually reading. ;)
And now, now I've met all of you wonderful people and my heart is just so full. To be able to share this love of food with all of you, just makes me so happy, I want to cry. But I won't, I promise. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for making my YEAR and for helping to do the same thing you've done for me, for all the other finalists and winners out there. Congrats to everyone who was honored this year!! And I promise to share more about last week later, like how wonderful all the bloggers I met last week were, the color of Steph's (I am a Food Blog) hair, and more but today I really want to talk about my awesome Aperol Spritz Break!! I can't think of a better way to celebrate than with a bit of Aperol, a lot of sunshine, and a table full of snacks!
Wanna know the secret to an awesome spritz party? I'll break down the key components, according to me.
Keep it small, 8-10 is a manageable size. It's a spritz party, so know your audience. Day drinking is a requirement, so keep that in mind when you're creating your guest list. :D Also, this goes without saying but try to invite your favorite people, after all, you will be spending the afternoon together.
I'm gonna use this awesome acronym my dad taught me when I was twelve: KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).
- Cheese and charcuterie board/platter. It's easy to build and everyone loves a good one. I threw on some salami, prosciutto, truffled marcona almonds, parmesan-gouda, triple cream, blue, truffled cheddar, cherries, and thinly sliced french bread on mine. A bowl of grapes is always a good call, fruit and cheese are forever friends. I forgot the honey and fig spread but no one seemed to mind.
- Avocado toast. Make it right before you're ready to serve and garnish with edible petals, micro greens or thinly sliced radishes for extra drama. It's a crowd pleaser and it's easy to customize (think za'atar or dukkah). I spread a thin layer of cream cheese on every toast point before I load it up with avo for extra creaminess.
- Summer caprese. Jazz up a classic with stone fruits and substitute burrata for the typical fresh mozzarella. If you can cut wedges and tear burrata and basil, you can make this beautiful salad. I drizzle some balsamic reduction and some good evoo right before I serve it.
- Crudités. Up your veggie game and go for those pretty organic, baby carrots with the leaves on top, purple cauliflower, radishes, broccolini, heirloom cherry tomatoes and more to dress up this classic. Whip up fun dips like jalapeño artichoke and edamame hummus and call it a day. Presentation is key here, so take your time arranging your vegetable bounty.
Enlist the friend with the best taste in music to build a playlist and make sure you've got the proper speaker situation ahead of time. Nobody likes a get together without music. Note: If that friend (with the best taste in music) is you, build that playlist!!
This is the most important component in throwing an Aperol Spritz party. And guess what, it's just as easy as everything listed above. You'll need three things (I recommend picking up a couple of bottles of everything listed below):
- Soda water or sparkling water
- Ok, wait, I lied, you'll also need a couple of oranges, cut into cute wedges, and ice!
How do you make an Aperol Spritz? Just remember 3-2-1. This isn't much of a recipe but it's the only thing you'll need.
3 parts Prosecco
2 parts Aperol
1 splash Soda
There's not much else to it but here are a few tips and tricks to maximize fun.
- Toast. Cheers. Whatever you want to call it, make a lot of them. It's fun and there's always something or someone to celebrate.
- Bring your dogs. It's way more fun with your furry friends.
- Look for a shady spot to perch up. Spritzers are cooling and refreshing but they will only cool you down so much. :D :D
- Most of all, don't stress out. It's a party with friends and they'll love you even if you forget the fig spread and honey!!
Aperol, you're awesome for sponsoring this post. All opinions, like this might be my favorite drink this summer, are my own. PS--The next morning, I woke up hangover free (which almost never happens)! Thanks, Aperol!