Here's one for all you coffee lovers out there. The Shakerato. Rooted in Italy, it's essentially an iced latte that's shaken and prepared like a cocktail. A quick and easy way to step up your midday coffee break.
Naturally, the espresso is the foundation of this drink... and better ingredients obviously lead to a better drink. Use what you like. I'm working with Nespresso's rich and full-bodied Fortissio Lungo... which is nice and dark while packing a good caffeinated punch.
Measuring and keeping track of your proportions is key with any mixed liquid refreshment. It keeps each drink consistent and allows you to make educated adjustments to your recipes along the way if necessary.
Larger ice cubes melt slower than smaller ones.
Adapted from Bon Appétit's Caffè Shakerato
Makes one serving
- 2oz. espresso
- 2oz. milk (Califia Farms Vanilla Almond Milk)
- .25oz. simple syrup
- Cocktail shaker
- Jigger for measuring
- Pull a double shot of espresso and set aside to cool.
- Place large ice cubes into glass.
- Combine espresso, milk and simple syrup into cocktail shaker.
- Fill rest of shaker with ice.
- Cover shaker and shake vigorously for 20-25 seconds.
- Pour strained mixture into glass with ice.