Jalapeño-Fennel Deviled Eggs
I could think of no better way to end Tabasco's Ten Ingredient Challenge than with Jalapeño-Fennel Deviled Eggs! After all, Steph from i am a food blog chose this year's ingredients, and I know she's a fan of deviled eggs!! So, here's my truth about deviled eggs: I'm usually not a fan. Ack! Don't hate me. I just don't love mayo and pretty much every deviled egg under the sun has mayo. Except for...these (and actually, Steph's spicy tuna deviled eggs didn't have any either--high five, Steph)!! Yup, the beauty of this challenge is that mayo was thankfully not a part of it, which means I was pretty much mandated not to put mayo in these deviled eggs!! YAY. Cool thing about these eggs is that they use olive oil and you won't even miss the mayo when you add in the oil. Moses didn't, and he LOVES deviled eggs. And the mild Jalapeño Tabasco adds the perfect amount of heat and zippy tang, while the fennel adds some freshness and a bit of crunch and color. Simple, balanced, and mayo free.
About the mayo, I don't know what it is about it, but I just don't like it. Please don't spread it on my hamburger bun, hold the aioli, I'll pass on tartar sauce, and please please please don't put that scoop of mac salad on my plate. Some people don't like olives (ok, I don't like those too), others aren't into meatloaf, and if you're like me, mayo just makes your skin crawl. Anyway, I'm getting off topic.
These eggs mark the end of my week-long challenge. It's been so much fun pretending I'm in the Iron Chef Kitchen Stadium, up on the Chopping block, or becoming America's next Master Chef. I hope you had as much fun as I did. It definitely reminded me why I love cooking so much, 'cause it's a fun way to challenge yourself to create, to make something you love, even when you're limited to the same 10 ingredients for a whole work week! Look at all the awesome dishes everyone's come up with this week! ;D Huge thank yous to YOU GUYS for following along this week! Ps - TGIF!! Hope you all have an awesome weekend.
This is Part 5 of Tabasco's 10 Ingredient Challenge – 5 recipes made from any of these 10 ingredients: Tabasco (Original Red, Green Jalapeño, or Chipotle), Chicken, Eggs, Mozzarella, Fennel, Zucchini, Rice (Brown, Basmati, Jasmine, or Wild), Rigatoni, Ciabatta, Honey, (Bonus Ingredients: Salt, Pepper, and Oil).
Jalapeño-Fennel Deviled Eggs
Makes 12 halves
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Jalapeño Tabasco
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced fennel bulb
- 2 tsp. finely minced fennel fronds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and finely sliced/shredded
- 1 Tbsp. high heat canola oil
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Medium to large saucepan
- Mixing bowl
- Small frying pan
- Piping bag with round tip
- In a medium to large saucepan, place eggs and add enough cold water to cover by an inch or so. Over medium heat, bring water to a boil, then immediately cover the pan and turn off heat. Let eggs sit for 12-14 minutes then drain and run eggs under cold water to cool.
- Once cool enough to touch, peel and cut in half, lengthwise. Remove egg yolks and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil, jalapeño Tabasco, finely minced fennel bulb, fennel fronds, and salt and pepper to taste and mash with a whisk until smooth. Once smooth, quickly whisk together for added creaminess.
- Transfer egg mixture to a piping bag fitted with a round tip and pipe into each egg white half.
- Heat canola oil in a small frying pan on medium-high heat, coating the bottom. Heat until the oil shimmers then add the finely shredded/sliced fennel.
- Fry until crispy and golden and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to cool.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top each egg half with a few fennel chips right before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!
Thank you to Tabasco for sponsoring this post. All opinions, ideas, and love for this week are my own. Hope you guys followed along with the #Tabasco10 on social media! Happy WEEKEND!