Happy first Monday of Spring! Maybe it was a figment of my imagination, but didn't yesterday feel extra spring-y? It was like every flower decided to come out and bloom, all at the same time. Walking around the neighborhood is gonna be extra heavenly for the next few days because the streets are lit up with flowers galore. Hope I don't miss too much while I'm gone because next week I'm headed to Maui for a bit with some of my favorite ladies!! Lily, Steph, Molly, and I will be lounging on my home island for a week or so and I can't wait to show them around!
Before we head to Maui though, we'll be meeting up in LA for a few days, so it's really like we get two trips together. I cannot wait to reunite with everyone. The funny thing about blogging is some of your best friends don't live anywhere near you. I'm lucky enough to have Lily nearby, but Steph's in Vancouver, Canada and Molly's all the way out in North Dakota/Minnesota. So it is gonna be such a treat to have all my favorite ladies in the same states as me!!
We are all getting so excited about our girls trip (me especially) that we have been brainstorming all the things in our group chat. We have literally discussed everything from what we're packing to playlists and plane snacks. Which is why today, I'm sharing one of my favorite snacks of all time, furikake snack mix. With one bite of this stuff, I'm immediately transported to soccer games in middle school. What is it? It's basically my favorite version of Chex mix. It's a mix of Crispix, rice Chex, arare (mochi crunch/rice crackers), multigrain Puffins (feel free to use Honeycomb!), mini pretzels, macadamia nuts, and roasted plantain chips coated in a sweet soy sauce but with a little bit of Sriracha heat and of course, a lot of furikake! These are all my favorites, but feel free to substitute other cereals/nuts/etc. if you don't see something you like. I can't get enough of this stuff and I can't wait to share it with my lovely ladies on the plane. Oh, and if you're looking for more plane snacks, check out the rest of the crew's snacks: Super Green Matcha Cacao Truffles, Spam and Egg Onigirazu, and Roasted Pistachio Chocolate Bars!
Ps - The gold pineapple tumbler is made by W&P Design!
FURIKAKE SNACK MIX
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter
- 3/4 c. refined coconut oil
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. golden syrup
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce (don't use Aloha Shoyu for this)
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Sriracha
- 1.7 oz. Nori Komi Furikake
- 6 oz. rice Chex cereal
- 6 oz. Crispix cereal
- 6 oz. multigrain Puffins or Honeycomb cereal
- 6 oz. toasted plantain chips
- 6 oz. unsalted mini pretzels
- 10 oz. unsalted dry roasted macadamia nuts
- 6 oz. arare (mochi crunch/rice crackers)
- Medium saucepan
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Kitchen scale
- 2 rimmed half sheet pans
- Large spatula
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Combine butter, coconut oil, sugar, golden syrup, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and sriracha in a medium saucepan over medium heat and heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Stir occasionally.
- Divide cereals, chips, pretzels, macadamia nuts, and arare between two rimmed half sheet pans and mix. Pour the sauce over the cereal mixture, one pan at a time and mix well. Add furikake, sprinkling evenly between the two pans and mix to coat the cereal mixture.
- Bake for 1 hr, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Break up mixture upon removing from oven and let cool on pan.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Serve and enjoy!