El Puente Rojo
Ever feel like you're drinking the same old drink and doing the same old thing every night? Well, if you're like us, chances are you've settled into a familiar routine and have your go to pau hana (after work) cocktail. Do me a favor and change it up tonight. Try this one. You won't regret it. It has the familiar taste of a tried-and-true margarita but with a twist. The sweet red vermouth adds rich and complex aromatic layers while the St. Germain Elderflower Liquer brings floral and fruit notes to the drink. Add a little freshly squeezed blood orange juice and you've just whipped up the most gorgeous, refreshingly balanced cocktail sure to tempt even a steadfast margarita lover into putting his/her drink down to try a sip of yours! Happy Pau Hana Friday, guys. Go ahead a celebrate, you earned it.
P.s. Speaking of the Same Old Thing a.k.a. one of my favorite The Black Keys songs, guess who's gonna be at Outside Lands this year!?! YESSS, The Black Keys, along with Sir Elton John, Mumford and Sons, and Hawaii's own Iration! Let's all go, okay?
El Puente Rojo: A Tequila Blanco, Sweet Vermouth, St. Germain, and Citrus Cocktail Recipe
Adapted from The PDT Cocktail Book's El Puente
Makes one serving
- 2 oz. tequila blanco (I used Don Julio Blanco)
- 3/4 oz. sweet red vermouth (I used Carpano Antica Formula Sweet Vermouth)
- 3/4 oz. St. Germain Elderflower Liquer
- 1/2 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 oz. freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- Lemon and blood orange sliced wedges (for garnish)
- 1 large ice cube (I used this mold)
- Cocktail shaker
- 1/4 oz., 1/2 oz., and 1 oz. jigger
- Ice (for shaker)
- Old fashioned glass
- Fine mesh cocktail strainer
- Set one large ice cube into chilled old fashioned glass.
- Combine tequila blanco, sweet red vermouth, St. Germain, lemon juice, and blood orange juice in a cocktail shaker, fill shaker with ice and shake for 10-15 seconds.
- Strain through a fine mesh cocktail strainer into old fashioned glass.
- Garnish with lemon and blood orange sliced wedges.
- Serve and enjoy.